“At The SETI Institute we have a passion for discovery and for sharing knowledge with the world. We see gaming as a terrific vehicle to engage with the public on real science and research,” said Karen Randall, Director of Special Projects at The SETI Institute. “By giving game developers direct access to our scientists and research we hope to kick-start a new effort using games to bring real science to the public. We can’t wait to see what the devs can come up with!”
SETI-JAM will take place October 17-19 at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California. Satellite locations include Gjovik University in Norway and the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, with more to be announced at a later date. Developers are free to make games of any genre, but all must integrate real SETI Institute data. Developers will have live access to the expertise of leading SETI scientists who will be on-site to explain their research data.
The Drake Equation, written in 1961 by the “Father of SETI”, Frank Drake, is a model to estimate the number of active extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy. The equation illustrates the breadth of scientific expertise needed to answer the question “Are We Alone?” and to explore all possibilities for life in the universe. Scientists representing each term of the equation will be at SETI-JAM.
Registration for the game jam opens on September 29th on setijam.seti.org.
A number of game industry leaders are supporting the SETI-Institute by serving as advisors to SETI-JAM:
- Ryan Williams, Director of Engineering, SpryFox Games
- Rob Jagnow, Founder & CEO, Lazy 8 Studios
- Brendan Mauro, Lead Artist, Lazy 8 Studios
- Brandon Sheffield, Director, Necrosoft Games
- Pete Angstadt, Co-Founder, Turtle Sandbox
- Keith Nemitz, Principal Developer, Mousechief Co.
The SETI Institute’s mission is to explore, understand, and explain the origin and nature of life in the universe, and to apply the knowledge gained to inspire and guide present and future generations. A private, nonprofit organization dedicated to scientific research, education, and public outreach, SETI is made up of three centers: the Center for SETI Research, the Carl Sagan Center for the Study of Life in the Universe, and the SETI Center for Education and Public Outreach.
For more information, please visit: setijam.seti.org
Part time employee of a major video game retailer.
Latest posts by Tiffany "CeissaDesiste" Toms (see all)
- Put Your Detective Cap On! LAYTON’S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy – Deluxe Edition is Now Available - 11/08/2019
- Action-Adventure Sparklite To Get Steam Demo Next Week, Console Pre-orders Now Live - 11/08/2019
- Stay Cool, Kobayashi-San!: A River City Ransom Story Available Today - 11/08/2019