Today, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of free-to-play MMORPGs, and Cryptic Studios announced Star Trek Online is preparing to commemorate its 8th Anniversary. Originally launching in February 2010, the game is now one of the longest running Star Trek series in the history of the franchise and offers 161 episodes, three major expansions and 14 full seasons of playable content. PC captains can help celebrate this milestone throughout the month, by joining daily giveaways leading up to the anniversary and participating in a brand new featured episode and special events for rewards, which begin January 23. Anniversary events will also be available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 at a later date. In addition, Star Trek Online is teaming up with Loot Crate to give away free subscriptions for the Star Trek Mission Crate to kick off the game’s anniversary.
Captains who visit the in-game C-store from now through January 23 can participate in server-wide giveaways, which allow them to collect a new reward each day, including uniforms, starships and other items. Giveaway items will be revealed on Star Trek Online’s blog.
Beginning January 23, captains face their final battle in the war against the genocidal Tzenkethi. In the new featured episode “Scylla & Charibdis,” players must find a way to stop a new escalation by the Tzenkethi fleet that puts the entire quadrant in immediate danger. While warping from system to system in pursuit of the enemy, captains receive communication from Captain Geordi La Forge (voiced by LeVar Burton) that an unexpected ally has offered to help finally put an end to these deadly attacks. The update also introduces a new modification feature and special events to celebrate the game’s anniversary.
A full list of new features and planned festivities includes:
- New Featured Episode – Captains must rally the fleet to stand in the way of the Tzenkethi’s path of destruction through the Alpha Quadrant in the new episode “Scylla & Charibdis.”
- Re-Engineering – This new feature allows players to change the mods on their existing items, including weapons.
- Omega Molecule Stabilization – Back by popular demand, players can join this event to collect Omega particles that Q has hidden across space. Stabilizing these molecules will yield prize vouchers, which can be redeemed for this year’s anniversary ship, the T6 Denorios-class Bajoran Interceptor.
- 8th Anniversary Party Poppers – Captains can meet up with Q to score a special event party popper, which allows them to generate exciting new effects!
- LootCrate Giveaway – Players can follow Star Trek Online on Facebook and Twitter to find out how they can enter to win a one-year subscription to the Star Trek Mission Crate from Loot Crate, which offers exclusive Star Trek apparel and collectibles every two months. Starting at the end of this month, each crate will also include codes to unlock in-game items for Star Trek Online, including starships, Bridge Officers, gear and exclusive emotes.
Star Trek Online is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game where players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship, become a Klingon Warrior and champion the Empire through the far reaches of the galaxy, or rebuild the Romulan legacy as the commander of a Romulan Republic Warbird. In Star Trek Online, players have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek universe, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species. Star Trek Online is currently available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.