Each week I will highlight up to 10 games that have been added to the site and are awaiting votes to be added to Steam. These games will be of various genres and ones that I feel have potential to be a must buy game. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and not the opinions of my fellow co-workers or of Anjel Syndicate as a whole. People may agree with me and others may not, but I feel that people should at least give them a look and decide for yourself whether to vote it “YES” or “NO”!
What is Steam Greenlight?
Steam Greenlight is a system that enlists the community’s help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and video for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game during the development process.
So here is my list for this week ending 10/11/14: (They are in no particular order)
Developer: Burrito Studios
Description: Highlands is a turn-based strategy game with resources management and RPG elements.
You play the heirs of a royal family overthrown by a mysterious army of bots and mercenaries. To regain control of your land, you will need to gather what’s left of the population and resources, improve the stats of your characters and build a resistance. In Highlands, every character along your side counts to achieve victory.
4 different character classes:
– Combatants garrison sectors and advance on the battlefield to reconquer territory. They fight in a card-style mini-game.
– Mechanics fortify whole sectors by building barricades in order to keep the enemy at bay and free combatants to more important battle fronts. They can also craft items to equip your heroes.
– Leaders motivate the population and organize resources gathering in sectors. They also inspire new recruits to join and generate leadership points for important actions.
– Academics tend the wounded and help the battle with their knowledge and new research.
– You will need food, morale, scraps and have strong leadership in order to feed your heroes, build a resistance, craft items and use special actions.
Design & Story:
– Spawns over 4 unique areas (countryside, city & docks, industrial under-city and citadel interior), each of them beautifully hand-drawn.
– A strong streamlined narrative with many scripted & random events to create a unique experience.
Official Website/Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439704341/highlands?ref=card
Genre: Strategy Simulation
Developer: Steven Colling
Demo Available?: No
Description: Orcish Inn is a tavern simulation game, where the player raises crops, brews beer, creates an inn and serves the incoming, orcish guests. To raise high quality crops like barley or hop, he has to keep an eye on wetness, eutrophy, windbreak and plant density. These crops are then processed to malt, wort and beer while the player can determine the beer’s final characteristics like alcoholic strength or acerbity. The tavern is created tile by tile, giving the player full creative control. If it gets dark, the orcish guests come in, chatting with others and bawling for beer. Keeping animals and gathering what nature provides allow you to stay healthy and warm: weather and seasons can come faster than expected! Beyond all the daily tavern work, engaging mini games played with guests or chilling activities like fishing await.
- Farming: a complex farming experience where you have to consider wetness, eutrophy, windbreak and plant density.
- Keeping of Animals: breed and feed the hell out of them.
- Exploring: explore the nature and gather resources like firewood.
- Brewing: produce malt, wort and finally beer and control their characteristics like alcoholic strength and acerbity.
- Furnishing: Create and decorate your inn tile by tile, wall by wall.
- Serving: At dusk, orcish guests come in and enjoy your beer.
- Amusement: Play tavern games with your guests or try your luck with fishing.
Official Website: http://orcish-inn.stevencolling.com
Genre: Action, Adventure, RPG, Platformer
Developer: TheoryForm Games
Demo Available?: No
Description: Hazewalker is a dark fantasy action-adventure game. Become Falken, the one man or woman who is able to resist the effects of the ancient curse known as the Haze. Use your unique abilities to teleport behind enemies, dodge traps, solve environmental challenges, and more.
Expect rewarding exploration, tactical combat, and secrets at every turn. Hazewalker’s gameplay will also include more RPG-oriented features like conversing with interesting characters, finding and crafting equipment, augmenting your weapons with powerful enchantments, and more.
You are the last hope of your people, survivors who have been trapped within the Veil. You must venture deep within the Haze if you ever hope to reach safety once again
- Move Like The Wind – Use Falken’s unique powers to become the Haze itself to move with wicked speed around enemies and traps, pass through tight spaces to solve environmental challenges, and more.
- Endless Discovery – Intricately crafted environments hold many secrets and dangers. Whether in the ancient mountain complex of Sharp’s Point or the sprawling city of Kastrus, the tools you need and the answers you seek are waiting for you to find them.
- Stunning Hand-Painted World – The world of Hazewalker is brought to life with sweeping vistas and rich, detailed environments that give it a distinctive “living concept art” style.
- Dark Fantasy Saga – Only a handful of your people survived the catastrophe known as The Breaking, and the hardest part is yet to come. Fight your way through the ruins of your homeland to discover what lies at the heart of the Kastrus Valley.
- Deep Customization – Choose between a male or female Falken, enchant your weapons and armor with powerful abilities, enhance your innate powers to make them even more devastating, and recover tools that the survivors can use to create strange and arcane items and enchantments.
- Full Steam Support – The Steam version of the game will feature achievements, full controller support, and support for Big Picture Mode.
Official Website: http://hazewalker.com/
Genre: Strategy, RPG, Simulation
Developer: TouchTilt Games
Demo Available?: No
Players: Single-Player, Co-Op
Description: Build a town from the ground up in this open-world construction simulator for industrious boys and girls of all ages. In BUILDANAUTS, you’re the foreman, the city planner, and the mayor of the town of your dreams. Plan your town, then bring it to life with the help of your construction crew. Build a town that your townsfolk, the Buildanites, will be proud to call home! Ever dreamed of putting on a hard hat and driving an excavator through a busy construction site? Now you can! BUILDANAUTS is a fun construction game for industrious boys and girls of all ages that allows you to survey, design, build, and manage your very own town. In BUILDANAUTS, you’re the city planner, foreman, and mayor of a town you’ll build from the ground up.
- EXPLORE YOUR OWN OPEN WORLD – The world of BUILDANAUTS is a vast canvas just waiting for you to shape it. You can jump in an excavator to dig the terrain, or just walk around with a shovel looking for resources.
- DESIGN AND BUILD A TOWN FROM THE GROUND UP – Watch in wonder as your construction crew realize your plans by building houses, buildings, and roads! Design your town using a flexible 3D editor, then grab a tool and lend a hand around the construction site.
- MANAGE YOUR OWN LIVING TOWN – As you build houses and roads, resident Buildanites will move in and bring your town to life. You’ll have to keep them happy by managing traffic, maintaining roads and houses, and building improvements. The happier your residents, the more will move in!
- CLIMB THE RANKS OF THE CONSTRUCTION WORLD – Start out as an Apprentice and work your way up to Foreman simply by playing the game, or by completing side-quests and challenges. Reach population milestones, keep your Buildanites happy, and manage your money well, and you will be rewarded with more tools, vehicles, and skills.
- OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY – Dig holes, dump dirt, deliver materials, pick up garbage, and more! In BUILDANAUTS, you can drive a wide variety of vehicles, including excavators, dump trucks, bulldozers, forklifts, flatbed trucks with cranes, wrecking balls, steam rollers, recycling trucks, cement mixers, food catering trucks, cars, and more!
- WIELD CONSTRUCTION TOOLS – Grab a tool and perform jobs to improve your town and earn in-game currency. Tools include: hammers, shovels, pickaxes, jackhammers, saws, and many more.
- BUILD WITH A FRIEND IN 2-PLAYER CO-OP MODE – Take jobs together with a friend or family member, or wander off and explore together. BUILDANAUTS will be playable in online co-op on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and in local co-op on consoles.
Greenlight Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321140377
Official Website: http://touchtilt.com/
Genre: Strategy, RPG, Simulation
Developer: Weird and Wry
Demo Available?: No, but Early Access build Available for a fee
Description: It’s the year 5781 and you have been chosen to build and lead a space station in a wild corner of the galaxy! Design its rooms and corridors to make your staff feel at home. Explore a galaxy with 30 star systems and more than a hundred planets. Complete missions for the Human Federation and discover new allies and… enemies! Fight for survival with a unique real time combat system. Collect loot and equip your officers with the most advanced technology in the galaxy.
- Design a space station and watch your staff as they build it
- A randomly generated galaxy with more than a hundred planets
- Explore the surface of planets and asteroids
- Find natural resources and items that your officers can equip
- Gear up with loot! You will meet tougher enemies as you advance
- Flexible officer skills based on the loot they equip
- A unique real time combat system
Official Website: http://thespatials.com/
Genre: Adventure, Puzzle
Developer: Grotman Games
Demo Available?: Yes
Description: In Tribal & Error you’re a robot sent back to observe the ancient times, but the ice age is coming and to save humanity you need to learn their language first. You’ll Observe, repeat and master the cavemen tongue. As the player, you observe and copy symbols of the Cavemen. Repeat the symbols to the Cavemen in order to figure out their meaning. Translation can be added by your own interpretation and can be used to instruct the Cavemen to teach them new skills. Embark on a relaxing but challenging quest, enjoy the story and bond with those pre-hysterical Cavemen!
- Language learning mechanic
- Unique caveman language
- No language barrier
- Challenging puzzles
- Different puzzle solutions
Greenlight Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323561836
Official Website: http://tribalanderror.com/
Genre: Adventure, Platformer, Puzzle
Developer: Glowforth & Wired Productions
Demo Available?: No
Description: A father and son tale, Last Inua will leave you breathless with its immersive, emotional and captivating gameplay.
Last Inua is an immersive and emotional, award winning 2D platform adventure game developed by Glowforth. Designed for the young and old and mixing classic platform genres, culminating in a captivating experience, Last Inua tells the tale of an Inuit family’s fight for survival against a fearsome demon and the harsh elements of the mythical Arctic.
The Tonrar, a demonic trickster, has awoken in the Arctic. The mythical powers that are still very active in this part of the world are under severe threat. The Tonrar is spreading his darkness that is taking over both the physical aspects (ice, snow and caves) but also the mythological. The Inuit gods, giant mythical creatures; the Ice Bear, the Raven and the Narwhal are all under threat by the Tonrar. They are slowly losing their power, health and sanity – infected by this darkness. Hiko and Ataataq are the only hope, yet Hiko is physically and will need to rely on the brute strength of his powerhouse father, Ataataq.
Guiding Hiko, his physically weak but gifted son along this epic journey, Ataataq will need to rely on his brute strength to overcome many obstacles. Hiko, although more fragile than his father, carries with him supernatural abilities and magical skills that exceed the physical powers of his father.
Together, Ataataq and Hiko must traverse the arctic landscape and visit The Trinity of the Mythical Creatures to help defeat the malevolent Tonrar. Physically weak and fragile, Hiko will need the help of his father to reach the end of this wondrous tale.
- An immersive and emotional, award winning 2D platform adventure.
- Intriguing storyline, epic scenery, beautiful gameplay & fun puzzles.
- Amazingly handcrafted character animations and artwork.
- Control two unique characters with a strong emotional bond, one a physical powerhouse, the other a gifted child with magical powers.
- A unique world combining Inuit-mythology and modern game culture.
- Available in 11 languages including English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Latin Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Thai and Russian
Official Website: http://www.wiredproductions.com/
Developer: Red Dwarf Games
Demo Available?: No
Description: Tales of Cosmos is an open world science fiction adventure game that focuses on puzzles, space travel, and exploration.
You take on the role of Perseus the Dog and Professor Gagayev, two astronauts who recently crash-landed on an unknown planet. All they have to rely on is their environment and their own resourcefulness. Help them get to the bottom of their newfound predicament, and through their exploits you will explore space, discover new planets, recruit the help of local lifeforms, and unravel a cosmic mystery.
Tales of Cosmos is four years in the making, and its influences include many old adventure games from the 90s. If you love adventure, exploration and/or space operas, Tales of Cosmos is being made for you.
- A huge open world, complete with many planets and moons to explore
- Free and seamless space travel between celestial objects
- Beautiful hand-drawn environments
- A haunting soundtrack to set the right mood for cosmic exploration
- Each planet has numerous characters and objects to interact with, as well as many puzzles to solve
- Interstellar puzzles – an item acquired on one planet may be useful on another
- Integrated hint system to aid with difficult puzzles, should you need it
- Modding tools – create and share your own interstellar adventure or play the creations of other fans
Official Website: http://reddwarfgames.com/
Demo Available?: No
Description: In her mid-20’s, Kelly has moved back into her parents’ house. Back to the flat expanse of Nebraska, that seemingly endless sea of rustling cornstalks peppered by rusty silos and rustier towns. A typically intense Midwestern storm is approaching while Kelly is out; she needs to get home.
In Three Fourths Home, players assume the role of Kelly while she is driving home during this thunderstorm. The focus of the game is its narrative, conveyed through an extended conversation Kelly has with her parents and younger brother. The player must navigate the conversation while driving through a stylized representation of rural Nebraska set against rumbling thunder and the music playing from the car’s tape deck.
Three Fourths Home is a look into a specific moment of these characters’ lives and their relationships with one another. The narrative touches on a variety of issues affecting Kelly and her family, including disability, adulthood, familial obligation, nostalgia, and loss.
Official Website: http://www.threefourthshome.com/
Genre: Adventure, Puzzle
Developer: Rumpus Animation
Demo Available?: No
Description: It is an intriguing, dark humored murder mystery full of intrigue, dark humor, murder and mystery. You must help Bertram Fiddle, leading Victorian Explorator, on his quest to uncover the identity of London’s most elusive serial killer, known only as Geoff the Murderer.
Due for release in November 2014 it is possibly the best comedy-murder-mystery-point-and-click-adventure game set in Victorian London you will see today.
Official Website: http://www.bertramfiddle.com/
So there you have it! Take a gander at the trailers, try a demo or two! See you all back here next week for more of my picks!
Tiffany "CeissaDesiste" Toms
Long time female gamer who has been playing all genres since the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 days. Freelance Graphic Artist, Web Designer, Beta Tester, and studied one year of Game Design. I play games on PC, PS4, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, 3DS, Xbox 360, PSVita, and Android. Freelance Writer, Reviewer, and News Editor/Asst. Director for Anjel Syndicate since the site launched! Part time employee of a major video game retailer.