It is rather unlike hordes of nomadic invaders to stick to schedule, but the Horse Lords have told us that we can expect a rainfall of arrows on July 14. Horse Lords is the latest expansion for Paradox Development Studios’s much-loved grand strategy RPG CrusaderKings II and it will bring the hellfire of war on the steppes to glorious map-painting life on your desktop.
With a heavy focus on the Mongol and Turkic invaders of the Central Asian plains, Horse Lords adds an expanded map, new ruling systems for the fascinating culture of the nomadic tribes that changed the course of world history from the saddle. There are also some minor tweaks that will affect everyone, including the construction of temporary forts to hold an area in your control and introducing the Silk Road – the wealthy trade highway that ran from the Mediterranean to East Asia.
Features in the coming Horse Lords expansion include:
- Nomadic rule: Distinct from the tribal governments already in game, nomads need lots of space and resist the trappings of settlement
- Clan politics: Rule a clan within a nomadic tribe, split clans that get too large, fight for dominance, and proclaim feuds and blood oaths
- Muster Hordes: Raise vast armies of horsemen and archers, mobilizing your entire population to ride forth and conquer
- Silk Road: This rich trade network can bring great wealth to whomever controls the cities along the route – but it’s especially ripe for pillaging.
- Larger Map: The Central Asian plains have been expanded
- Tributaries: New diplomatic relationship for nomad states forces defeated enemies to keep the Khan’s coffers filled.
- Forts: build temporary fortifications to hold a province under your sway for just long enough for you to finish the war.
Anjel Syndicate Editor-in-Chief, Gamer, Lover of Books, Conjurer of Words, Worlds, and Stories, Coffee Worshiper, and Nova Scotian.
“I’ve been gaming since I stood on milk crates to reach the controls. New games, retro games, you name it, I probably love it.”