Sony Computer Entertainment and Just Add Water have announced that Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath HD, the latest installment in the famous Oddworld series (Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, Abe’s Exoddus and Munch’s Oddysee), will be available in Europe on December 21st, and across North America on December 27th, 2011. Originally launched in 2005 on Xbox and PS2, Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath for PS3 features 720p visuals, much more detail in the characters, normal mapping and self-shadowing, re-mastered dialogue, as well as additional bonus material. An update with support for stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move will be released in a couple months.
So what’s been updated in the HD version:
- All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
- Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
- Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
- New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
- Made Blisterz Booty unkillable.
- All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
- Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
- A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
- Many, many pipes and barrels were rounded.
- New Easter Eggs added to the game.
- Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
- Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble that seen in the FMV.
- All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
- Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.
- Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, and in widescreen.
- All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
- New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.
- All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
- Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
- In Easy mode:
- Stranger has twice the health
- Enemies have half the health and stamina
- Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast
- In Normal Mode:
- Stranger’s health and armor for later in the game have been re-balanced.
- In Hard mode:
- Stranger has a third less health.
- Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.
- 37 Trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
- 37 pieces of unlockable concept art
- Five unlockable movies
Tiffany "CeissaDesiste" Toms
Long time female gamer who has been playing all genres since the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 days. Freelance Graphic Artist, Web Designer, Beta Tester, and studied one year of Game Design. I play games on PC, PS4, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Xbox 360, PSVita, and Android. Freelance Writer, Reviewer, and News Editor/Asst. Director for Anjel Syndicate since the site launched! Part time employee of a major video game retailer.